Vanessa Parkinson BSc. Hons, CCC-SLP
Provider Type: Speech-Language Pathologist
Location: Hurst, Southlake
I’m Vanessa Parkinson BSc. Hons, CCC-SLP and I joined Monkey Mouths in 2019. I am originally from England, UK, but have lived in the US for the past 17 years. I began my career in England after graduating from The City University, London. Whilst in England I worked in acute and rehabilitation hospitals and in pediatric outpatient clinics, as well as in preschools and elementary schools for children with severe specific speech and language disorders and schools for children with various special needs, including autism. Prior to working for Monkey Mouths, I worked for 2 years in the Texas school system, 9 years in the Georgia School System and 3 years for Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta.
I believe in working closely with parents to explore different therapeutic approaches and use them eclectically to address their child’s communication needs.
I am married to Simon and have two college age children, Alex and Imogen. My husband and I attend North Tarrant Church (a network church of Andy Stanley’s North Point Church, Atlanta) and host a community/bible study couple’s group. When I am not at work and not reading something about speech and language therapy, I enjoy Pilates, walking my two dogs, wake surfing, Jeepin’, cooking, traveling, tennis and dirt biking if my family makes me!
As an SLP with over 28 years of experience, I have training and specialization in the following:
- Derbyshire Language Scheme
- Developmental Cognitive Neuro-Psychology (in relation to speech and language skills)
- The Hanen Program It Takes Two to Talk
- SCERTSTM with Emily Rubin MS, CCC-SLP
- DIR Floortime
- Deborah Beckman, M.S., CCC-SLP Oral-Motor Therapy
- Core Vocabulary with Gail Van Tatenhove, MS, CCC-SLP
- Cued Articulation
- Central Auditory Processing Disorder trainings
- Theory of Mind trainings as it relates to play, Autism and Social Cognitive development by Carol Westby PH.D., CCC-SLP