Karen Pieters, M.S., CCC-SLP
Provider Type: Speech-Language Pathologist, Oral-Myofunctional Therapist, Hurst Clinical Director
I’m Karen Pieters M.S., CCC-SLP, I joined Monkey Mouths in 2008 and I am the Clinical Director of the Hurst office. I earned my undergraduate degree at Furman University and my Master's degree in speech therapy at UT Dallas. I also have graduate degree in school psychology from Georgia State University.
Before joining Monkey Mouths, I worked at a practice in Irving where I helped start the clinic’s feeding program. I’ve also worked as a Licensed Specialist in School Psychology in Georgia and Texas and I presented “Rapidly Increase Intelligibility in Young Children” at the TSHA convention. My experience in speech and psychology make me a great therapist for children who are experiencing speech/language issues that affect school learning.
I see parents as partners in the therapy process and enjoy giving families simple yet effective ideas for home carry-over. I am married and have one daughter.
As an SLP with over 19 years of experience, I have training and specialization in the following:
- Deborah Beckman, M.S., CCC-SLP Oral-Motor Therapy
- Sensory-Motor Feeding by Lori Overland, M.S., CCC-SLP
- Sara R. Johnson M.S., CCC-SLP
- Sensory Integration with Kathryne Carnissa, OTR
- Myofascial Release for dysphagia and voice
- Vocal Cord Dysfunction (VCD)
- Tamara Kasper, M.S., CCC-SLP, BCBA
- Social Thinking with Michelle Garcia Winner M.S., CCC-SLP
- PROMPT Therapy/Advanced PROMPT Bridging
- Sound Card System
- Kaufman Apraxia System
- Dynamic Temporal and Tactile Cueing/Edyth Strand PhD, CCC-SLP
- CAN-EAT with Krisi Brackett
- Visualizing and Verbalizing with Lindamood Bell
- Comprehensive Augmentative Communication Evaluations for Low-Tech and High-Tech Communication Devices
- Tethered Oral Tissues (TOTS trained)
- Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy (OMT) Specialty Training by Mary Brezik, M.S., CCC-SLP/OMT