Pelvic Floor Therapy
At Monkey Mouths, we use pelvic floor therapy to treat and manage bowel and bladder dysfunctions. Our trained occupational therapists can assist in helping your child gain control of his or her bowel and bladder using the following techniques:
- Examination of the muscles of the abdomen and pelvis
- Muscle retraining and strengthening exercises
- Biofeedback (treatment process that uses computer animation to measure, record, and display information directly from the patient’s body)
- Behavior and diet modification
- Establishment of voiding routine
- Parent/caregiver education
- Home education program
- Coordination of care with pediatrician, urologist, and dietician
Marybeth Olivia, OTR
Can my child benefit from pelvic floor therapy?
Common bowel and bladder conditions that can benefit from pelvic floor therapy are the following:
- Continued potty accidents past age 6
- Leaking urine
- Frequent urination or overactive bladder
- Infrequent urination or underactive bladder
- Painful bowel movements
- Over/underactive bowels
- Excessive gas or abdominal bloating
How do I get started?
01. Obtain a physician prescription for occupational therapy. Patient may need to seek evaluation from a urologist prior to beginning services.
02. Schedule an evaluation at our Coppell location by calling 817-479-7019.